Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Light Might Be In Sight

I saw a ray of light...I couldn't hide my smile today when I was hearing Saad Hariri announcing the three electoral lists for Beirut and he asked all of the Lebanese to repeat "national unity" three times when we wake up and three times before retiring at night. I felt a ray of light shine through the TV screen, because where do you see a group of politicians who would sacrifice so much for the sake of national unity...ask Dr. Ghattas Khoury. He bowed down, at the peak of his popularity, to let Solange Bashir Gemayel run uncontested.

On another note, Aoun upon his arrival to Lebanon last week asked everyone not to fall for the trivialities of the election rhetoric; he was armed with a reform program. I was so eager to learn more about that program, but alas all that I heard since then was basically threats to sue those who wasted public funds during the past 15 years and only to see him yesterday fall into the trap of talking "trivialities" of elections. I must say I am disappointed; when I thought Aoun would be different than the others on the political arena, I realized that he is just the same.

Interestingly, I am getting the vibes that the Lebanese Forces are not entirely on par with the FPM. Sitrida Geagea has ignored calls to halt LF alliances with the "Muslims" and forged an alliance with Jumblatt in the Jabal and is most probably set to ally with Al-Mustaqbal in the north.

Let's see what today has in for all of us....


"Nobody knows how many rebellions, besides political rebellions, ferment in the masses of life which people earth."

3 comments:

Mustapha said...

not only that, also, Lebanese politics in general are maturing.
Witness for instance how Gebran Tweini and Solange Gmayyel both quietly ignored the patriarch and didn't fall for the secterian rethoric. An unheard of precedent.

I am about to put a poste about how the Cedar revolution is not only alive and kicking, but also getting stronger

Mustapha
The Beirut Spring

Anonymous said...

It is about time that all religeous leaders got out of politics. I am quiet impressed with the American and French response (silence mostly) to the sectarian rhetoric. Enough is enough! Mustapha, how are the lists shaping up in the North?
H

Charles Malik said...

Doha,
Ouf! You beat me to my post.
Saad's speech was incredible.
However, one corollary to Mustapha: Gebran did say he would not stand for the elections if the Patriarch decides he should not.