Saturday, April 02, 2005

mukhabarat doing their thing...

I've been hearing a lot of "clicks" in my recent phonecalls to Lebanon. However, yesterday, something very interesting happened.

I called a friend's cell phone, and heard someone pick up. The person didn't say hi or anything of that sort, so I didn't say anything either... After about about 10 seconds of awkward silence, I decided to shut the phone.

After an hour, I called back and asked my friend what had happened. It turns out that the phone never rang, and it was never out of sight!

Then, while we were talking, I heard someone in the background but didn't make anything of it. My friend then asked me if someone was next to me because there were some voices in the background!

Hmmm... should I be flattered?

I've become popular all of a sudden.

3 comments:

Charles Malik said...

I hear strange clicks on my phone all the time, especially when I talk with one of my Syrian friends. Hmmm...
Also, I have heard that when people are arrested for drugs, the derek just want to know where they came from. And a former prosecuter told me that when people are arrested for homosexuality, the first questions asked are whether the person had relations with any political figure. Kind of crazy stuff. All the internal organizations are trying to discredit one another and take each other down. It's a great way for a third world dictator to keep anyone who could possibly rise to power from getting there. Keep those motivated individuals fighting with one another.

Mustapha said...

ahhh, the beauty of half anonimity..

Raja said...

:) good one mustapha