Monday, February 20, 2006

A Year Since We Started Writing...

I remember a year ago, Raja and I were boiling with energy...we wanted to take action. There were people on the streets in Lebanon, and we were here stuck watching TV. We wanted to take action, to take part in history-in-the-making.

Raja called me at work and told me to start writing; he set us a blog. I was reluctant to write, knowing that once you write something on the blogosphere, you are exposing yourself to the whole world. Yet what is interesting is that there is instant gratification in receiving comments from readers and by that creating dialogue and conversations we so much needed while away from the homeland.

I opened up and started writing. My first post is entitled: My Thoughts. Dated February 21st, 2005.

We started by inviting other friends onto this blog: Reem, Firas, May, Hassan, Hani G, Lea. Some wrote, some commented, some left us, but Raja and I continue to feel an obligation to write. Our circle of friends have widened, friends we made through this blogosphere, friends whom we would not have met ever if it was not for this venue. I can say that through this blogosphere, we have created a new "community" of Lebanese open to dialogue, willing to bounce off ideas and to expose their beliefs and thoughts for criticism and further analysis.

For a year now, we've witnessed the ups and downs of politics in Lebanon, being reflected on this blogosphere. So we've seen it through the rough tides. And we continue to have hope. I believe that hope is what characterizes our spirit and outlook towards Lebanon. After all, we want to return to Lebanon and this blog is one of the tools of engagement.

I want to thank everyone who continues to read our posts. You are what has made this blog make it through its first year. I want to also thank our fellow bloggers and my fellow writers on this blog.

And finally, a large, special thanks to Raja. Happy Birthday! Looking for another year of the same!


"Nobody knows how many rebellions, besides political rebellions, ferment in the masses of life which people earth."

4 comments:

Mustapha said...

Happy Birthday Doha and Raja,

I feel very well every word you write. Let's hope we maintain the energy to contribute positively to public life in Lebanon

Faysal said...

Hey Raja, whatsup habibi. Happy birthday first off. Imagine my surprise when I was researching Syria and Lebanon for WINEP and I came across this site. Do you guys all make contributions here? What are the topics up for discussion?

Cheers,


Faysal Itani

Anonymous said...

Doha and Raja,

Happy Birthday from a regular reader who appreciates what you had been doing this past year. Keep up the good work and many thanks.
Dalal

Raja said...

faysal,

nice to see that you've discovered the blog. Doha, the other bloggers and I try to tackle a whole bunch of issues pertaining to Lebanon and the region.

Check out Openlebanon.org. That website is a clearinghouse of most of the prominent Lebanese Bloggers.

I look forward to your comments, buddy. Take care, and I'll see you soon.