I have a couple questions to ask about this scholarship because the article does not answer them:
- What if all the students who got the top 12 scores could afford to go to AUB anyway? The article says nothing about "means tests."
- I wouldn't mind if all the winners of the scholarships were from one sect. However, I've been told by some that I am different from the average joe/jane in Lebanon. I don't think I need to even ask the question here.
- If only the best and brightest of Lebanon did not have to leave to make a decent living
- If only Civilization Sequence (CS) classes were taken a bit more seriously and taught more effectively. Technical degrees are not enough. Ideas are needed to beat sectarianism and religious fundamentalism - ideas that engineering classes do not teach.
- If only there were more than 12 scholarships going out per year
- If only the Berris, Jumblatts and Franjiehs of this world would keep their dirty hands out of this initiative and refrain from polluting it.