Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Precarious Independence Day

Mabrook! Congratulations to all Lebanese for our independence day today.

However, despite all the media hype on this year's independence being special and different; there is still this feeling inside me of emptiness, of fear...our independence is a fragile one indeed.

There is so much going on in our country, so much that has happened since last February...

Tension on the southern Lebanese border, Lahoud in Baabda, a precarious national unity, Syria's tug-of-war game with Mehlis...all mar the happiness.

In the hopes that next year would bring us an independence day less reminiscent of death and tears, and more hopeful of a brighter future for our beloved country, Lebanon.


"Nobody knows how many rebellions, besides political rebellions, ferment in the masses of life which people earth."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...
Thank you very much State of Israel for blowing up any credibility we (Lebanese critics of Hizbullah) had with Southern supporters of the Party of God. I'm dumbfounded and confused. Don't Israelis know that for many shiite southerners Israel is a synonym for Satan? Reminds me of the time some of Bush's speeches indirectly (inadvertedly I think) helped diminish the reformists' popularity in Iran.
I don't know if the flyer was a naïve message from the heart, or an attempt at reverse psychology, or a mixture of both. What's sure is that it won't help us one bit.

By the way, I am very disappointed with all my favorite bloggers: no analysis of what's going on in Israel right now, although it's historical. Why? Is it intentional or due to a lack of interest? I have to admit that I don't know why I'm interested myself, but I do have a feeling that it will affect Lebanon one way or another...

Sam