Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Vigil in DC

It was six degrees celcius below zero. Despite the cold reality, turn out was impressive. We lit candles, distributed and hung some posters, mingled, sang the national anthem and recited Gebran's Oath. We celebrated life in the face of death.

Two phrases I heard last night still haunt me today. An acquiantance observed that "we're actually getting better at holding these vigils." He said, "the turn out is progressively larger each time and the posters are more professionally done." I have to admit that there is a cynical but very real truth to that statement.

The other phrase that I heard from a lot of people was: "let's not meet again only after another death."

Ziad S. took some pictures, a sample of which I will post in this entry. Thanks Ziad.









1 comment:

Kathleen Callon said...

I read about the assassination. I am sorry.