Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Forever Loubnan Al-Moukaddas

These are excerpts of what I wrote last year in August of 2005 when I was back in Lebanon. Call it nostalgia mixed with sorrow, mixed with hints of the 2006 summer that was to come....I have nothing new to write and would definitely at the moment defer to how I felt and thought back in the days. My heart is filled with fear and pain for my beloved Loubnan.

Lebanon, the small, beautiful country, the larger-than-life country, is too good to be true sometimes. Lebanon is beautiful like a dream. I've talked to many and funnilly enough, many are optimistic, and many are not. Many have bought in to the national reconciliation mantra, and many have become ultra-sectarian, it is but confusing to say which side is winning!

When you don't read the newspapers, Lebanon is the way it is...just Lebanon, the Lebanon we all love. But just when you read the news, it is inevitable to be disturbed. The dark forces in our country are slowly getting emboldened. I hope we can stand in their way. Can we?

Lebanon is weak, a sick-man, susceptible to all the viruses one can think of. Are we able to give it an immunization shot once and for all? I believe, if we can work together. We'll wait and see. But I'll remind myself everyday, that now in order to understand what will happen to our country, we have to keep up with the news around us. So let's keep our eyes open.

Less than 24 hours before I leave this beloved country, Lebanon. I must say that I have decided--this is the place I want to be my home, this is where I want to live. No romanticism, no idealism...it's reality and it becomes clearer the older I get....

Lebanon--it's the fertile ground for change, for opportunities. We should all start planning the return. We should! No doubt! It would be a shame to leave it behind, when it is so thirsty for our minds, for our endless energy, and optimism...I can smell the fresh scent of the Pine Tree from the hills of Bhamdoun-El-Mhatta.

Forever, Loubnan Al-Moukaddas.

"Nobody knows how many rebellions, besides political rebellions, ferment in the masses of life which people earth."

6 comments:

Lirun said...

hey doha

i think we all vaue a sense of home.. i personally have had the option to settle inmany much more peaceful places in the world.. but nothing replaces a sense of home..

i wish that your home be restored soon and the summer that should have been that of 2006 pale in contrast to the splendour of what comes..

lirun
telaviv
www.emspeace.blogspot.com

Richard said...

Heartbreaking that the place you longed to call home has become a vale of pain & rubble. May those days of last summer return some time in the near future. May Lebanon be reborn in peace.

Lirun said...

tichondrius..

its amazing how many lebanese people dont support those dark forces..

lirun
telaviv
www.emspeace.blogspot.com
we need to speak louder

Lirun said...

dany

i believe in you.. its probably not worth all that much in real terms but i will encourage you..

coming from somone who has been burned by "boiling water" many many times - i know that it is possible to swim again.. and sail.. and paddle and surf.. with full glory and pride..

you've done it once - and you shall do it again - only this time it will be better and stronger..

lirun
telaviv
www.emspeace.blogspot.com
you are not africa - you are lebanon

Lirun said...

you're welcome dany - wishing you and your children as well as those on my side better and brighter days

Ecumene said...

What about the American-Lebanese?

Are they so confused?)))